Are you thinking about making a move? If you’re ready to leave Cincinnati and explore new opportunities, but don’t want to leave the Midwest, Chicago is likely big on your list. It’s easy to see the appeal of the Windy City which offers more diverse cuisine, great public transportation, and some of the country’s top attractions and museums. Like Cincinnati, it also has its own, unique personality and a gritty feel with plenty of history. Of course, you’re trading life in a mid-sized city on a river for life in a massive metropolis on one of the world’s largest lakes.
Here’s what you should know about the pros and cons of living in Cincinnati vs Chicago, the perks of relocating to the Windy City, and how professional Cincinnati to Chicago movers can help.
What Is Moving to Chicago Like?
You can expect a big adjustment when living in Chicago compared to life in the Queen City. Chicago is a sprawling metropolis with a metro population of 9.5 million covering a whopping 9,581 square miles. Chicagoland is so large, it takes hours to drive out of the city and suburbs.
Its sheer size means there’s always something happening in the city. Chicago boasts some of America’s best museums including the world-renowned Field Museum and the interactive Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago. The city has among the top urban parks in the country like Millennium Park and other fantastic ways to spend the day like the iconic Navy Pier on the lake, Shedd Aquarium, one of the largest in the world, and sunbathing and volleyball on Lake Michigan’s beaches.
The diverse job market and accessible public transportation will definitely make life easier, and you’ll probably gain a few pounds once you’re surrounded by Chicago’s famous culinary scene! However, there are some adjustments to make that aren’t for the best.
The Chicago cost of living isn’t the worst in the country, but it’s a big jump from the cost of living in Cincinnati. Housing is about twice as expensive in the Windy City. The $313,000 median home price in Chicago compares to just $214,000 in Cincinnati. As a renter, you’ll pay an average of $2,091 after moving to Chicago versus Cincinnati average rent of $1,117. The average salary in Chicago is 8.5% higher than Cincinnati but the overall cost of living is 27% higher.
Finally, you’ll need to adjust to the Cincinnati vs Chicago climate differences. Cincinnati gets more annual rainfall and fewer sunny days with a much more humid climate and frequent overcast skies. Chicago famously has two climates: very cold, snowy winters and very hot, humid summers. Fall and spring are short-lived. You’ll get 35” of annual snowfall while living in Chicago compared to 15” in Cincy.
Benefits of Moving from Cincinnati to Chicago
There are many great benefits of moving to Chicago from Cincinnati.
- Big city living. Cincinnati is a mid-sized city of 300,000 with a metro population of 2.2 million. That’s a drop in the bucket compared to Chicago where you can enjoy big city life with walkable neighborhoods and tons of attractions, shopping, and dining nearby.
- Diversity. Chicago is a great place to live if you appreciate diversity and love meeting people from different cultures and countries. The city is evenly divided between non-Hispanic white, non-Hispanic Black, and Hispanic people and it’s one of America’s top 10 most diverse cities. Cincinnati’s foreign-born population is just 6% compared to 22% in Chicago which is home to dozens of large ethnic groups.
- Public transportation. Cincinnati famously lacks strong public transportation despite its size with no rail service. The closest it has to compare is abandoned subway tunnels that were never finished almost a century ago. One of the perks of living in Chicago is the CTA, one of the country’s top public transit systems with train and bus routes that make it easy to get anywhere in the city and inner suburbs.
- Sports. Of course, it goes without saying that Chicago is America’s Best Sports City, a big advantage of moving to Chicago if you love baseball, football and basketball. The Windy City is home to the Chicago Bears, the Bulls, the Blackhawks, and two MLB teams. Most years, there’s no comparison between the Bears vs Bengals, although the Cincinnati Bengals in 2022 won their first playoff game in 31 years to go to the Super Bowl.
Cincinnati to Chicago Movers
A long-distance move from Cincinnati to Chicago can be an overwhelming experience without the right help. Don’t underestimate how much work is involved – or how much assistance a professional Cincinnati to Chicago moving company can provide!
You can get help with the tasks you’re most dreading, whether it’s the packing or loading heavy furniture, or relaxing with full-service movers who handle almost everything.
Here are just some of the ways you can benefit from hiring licensed movers for your big move.
- Efficient, fast, and organized moving day
- No unexpected delays or logistical hurdles
- No heavy lifting or repetitive bending to eliminate the risk of injury
- Reduced risk of damaged or lost belongings with everything packed by professionals using the right techniques and loaded securely to avoid shifting
- No need to drive a large commercial truck hundreds of miles and in Chicago traffic
- Warehouse storage can be included to avoid moving twice and the hassle of self-storage
Why Krupp Moving & Storage Is the Best Cincinnati to Chicago Moving Company
You should be focused on the excitement of the new life ahead of you, not the stress of how you will get there. Krupp Moving & Storage is committed to delivering the positive moving experience you deserve.
We have earned a reputation as one of the leading Cincinnati to Chicago long-distance moving companies with 15 years of experience and more than 12,000 successful relocations. Our licensed, insured relocation company only employs background checked, experienced movers for your peace of mind. We boast a low claims rate and hundreds of positive reviews on Google and Facebook!
With Krupp Moving & Storage by your side, you’ll be enjoying everything that living in Chicago has to offer without the worry and hard work.
Cincinnati to Chicago Moving Cost
How much does it cost to move from Cincinnati to Chicago? Professional movers don’t cost as much as you may think! There are many factors we consider to give you an accurate moving estimate including the distance, moving dates, volume and type of belongings, number of movers needed, level of service, and the type of home you are moving into/out of.
With Krupp Moving & Storage, you can be sure you will receive competitive moving rates without hidden fees. Fill out our Request a Quote form or give us a call to get started with a free assessment and personalized quote from our friendly, affordable Cincinnati to Chicago movers!
Cincinnati to Chicago Distance & Travel Info
Once our movers have loaded up the truck and set off for your new home, the only thing left for you to do is get your family to Chicago. The distance from Cincinnati to Chicago is 295 miles or about 4 hours, 40 minutes, mostly on I-65 N and I-90 W. You’ll likely go through one or more toll roads.
Shipping your car ahead or moving to Chicago from Cincinnati without a car? There are other ways to get there! There are many nonstop flights from Cincinnati to Chicago (CVG to ORD) on United, American Airlines, and Delta with a flight time of just 90 minutes. You can also take an Amtrak train from Cincinnati to Chicago for a more scenic, exciting experience. The Amtrak Cardinal train leaves Cincinnati Union Terminal (CIN) and travels to Chicago Union Station (CHI). The train takes about 9 hours with prices as low as $40 for coach or $200 for a private room.
Are you ready to enjoy everything the Windy City has to offer? Call the best Cincinnati to Chicago movers at Krupp Moving & Storage to get started with a free moving quote and the stress-free experience you need.